Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring Starts with a Salad

My tulips have decided it's spring.  Well, they actually decided that awhile ago and then the snowpocalypse hit.  The snow has melted and the tulips are continuing their growth towards the sun.  To celebrate our week of 60*F afternoons I made a quick fried chicken salad last night.  This salad is always a quick and easy spring or summer meal for us.  Hopefully you'll enjoy it too.

Fried Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
  • Red Leaf Lettuce
  • cherry or grape tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • shredded carrots (I didn't have these on hand last night but they really add some fun!)
  • enough pieces of fried chicken breasts for each person (whatever that is to you) 
  • some kind of creamy dressing--normally I love Drew's Smoked Tomato  on this, but I ran out so I made the honey mustard dressing below.
Directions:
  • Wash and tear the lettuce.  Chop the cucumbers any size you like.  Cut tomatoes in half or keep them whole.  Put everything in a communal bowl or divide up for individual bowls (single serving is my preference for this salad) and top with shredded carrots and chicken. Drizzle on some dressing and you're good to go!  
  • I served it with a baked sweet potato topped with butter.  Both together make a filling, healthy, quick meal! 
Honey Mustard Sauce
Adapted from: All Recipes

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 Tablespoons Mustard (I used a combo of Spicy Brown and Dijon.  I wouldn't recommend using regular yellow mustard.) 
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Honey
Directions:
     Mix all ingredients together in a container with a lid so you can easily store any leftover.  Because it's really a dipping sauce, more than a dressing, a little of this goes a long way.  I just took the mixing spoon and used it to drizzle some of the sauce over the top of our salads. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment